Inktober 2022 has begun! Day 1-10 (Part 1)


I haven't been updating my blog...but when I usually do, it's usually about my Inktober drawings. Well, this year is the Inktober 2022.  The prompt is as follows (see below).  Instead of my posting 31 images at once, it probably is better if I post in chunks....so this time, I'm post 10 images at a time, and post them mostly closer to the due dates.  I'll also write my little thoughts below each image I made.  So, here we go!





I was thinking whether I should look for an actual photo that featured a gargoyle. I decided that this could be a time for me to try to be a little more creative.  And try out some lighter sepia pens that I got.  Other than that, most real gargoyles tended to be rather not too appealing to me. 





When I did a search on scurry, a good majority of them involved a mouse.  Like, bugs would skitter, but they usually don't scurry.  For different animals, different words.  Okay, mouse it is.





When I think of a bat, I'm usually thinking of the flappy kind or the swinging kind.  I decided to base it on the swinging kind.  In this case, the bat that Steve Harrington of Stranger Things uses.  Whereas it could've looked cheesy and overused if done by someone else, he looks pretty good with it.  He truly "nailed" the look.





How many things can you draw with the word "scallop?"  Other than a scallop?  Talk about a lack of options!  This was a good moment for me to do a little bit of research on scallop, which can be a specific body part that one eats, or a series of species.  Back in the day, I used to make instructional manuals for a keyboard company and often had to design callouts for different parts of an electronic device.  This reminded me a little of that time when I drew this.





Murray from Stranger Things Season 4 really knew how to wield that flamethrower.  I could've drawn something simple as one flame, but who wants just a flame, when you can throw it?  This character was on fire this season. 




When I think of bouquet, I usually think of a wedding.  Or, the film Vertigo by Alfred Hitchcock.  This was an early scene from that film.  The movie is pretty good, but I felt Jimmy Stewart's performance really made the film watchable.  If he wasn't in it, I probably would've thought the movie to be too silly.





When I think of a "trip", I often think of road trips.  National Lampoon's Vacation probably was the first thing that came to my mind after that.  Back in my time, road trips like these were quite common in my family--they're probably still pretty common, but I'm not as aware of it.  Long drives do not hold much appeal to me--I'd rather take the train or a plane, if possible.  And.. these gas prices don't help.




When I first read "match", I accidentally read it as "watch."  If you look right below, you can see what I drew initially.  Anyways, Better Call Saul recently ended--it was pretty much my favorite show.  The ending left me a little bummed, but I suppose you can't expect a happy ending...admittedly, as a character study, it made good sense.  
  



This image was my first attempt for Day 8, which I realized was incorrect.  I drew a watch instead of a match.  Anyways, back in the 80's these game watches were a thing.  I had a Snoopy Tennis game watch, but not the kind that you wore on your wrist.  That was made by Nintendo before they made video game consoles.  Anyways, this Nelsonic watch was seen in Stranger Things 4.  Pretty cool.




Nest was the word for Day 9.  At first, I was thinking of doing a nest of Xenomorph Facehuggers.  Then, I thought to myself, "that's be too easy" and boring.  I decided to go for something more natural, beautiful, and pleasant.   




So, here we come to Day 10!  The word is "Crabby."  I was first thinking of Lucy Van Pelt from Peanuts.  Then, I decided I needed a better challenge.   So, I decided on a crab!  This is a blue crab, which is a little more colorful than a regular crab.  I wanted to make good use of my new paint set.


That's it for now!  I'll probably post more Inktober in a couple weeks.  Among other news, I recently had a trip to South Korea for three weeks.  My trusty sketchbook often gets filled up when I go on trips.  I also already posted many of my drawings and pics on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/d_art_98/.  



 


Comments